In the first few weeks of February Birmingham Settlement had the pleasure of having two girls, Lauren and Shantae, from St Paul’s Girls School with us doing their work experience. The girls were involved in a wide range of activities during their time with us, including:
- Learning how to use a wide range of office/digital equipment, including Microsoft Office, a database package, flipcameras, photocopiers and blogging software.
- Setting up a library at the Centre for the Aston Family.
- Conducting interviews with people at the Centre for the Aston Family.
- Helping with children in the Nursery and Stay and Play.
- Producing a presentation about our allotments.
- Working in the Newtown shop sorting and pricing items.
- Assessing volunteer application forms and deciding who might make a good volunteer.
- Coming up with fundraising events ideas and planning how they would run them.
We hope the experience of working with Birmingham Settlement and the wide range of activities we have been able to get them involved in has provided a useful learning experience. Speaking at the end of the placement Shantae commented, “I have learned what the real life is all about.”